Wednesday, August 29, 2018

An Un-Wise Woman attends Amaya's Wise Woman Retreat, August 3-6, 2018, Albuquerque, New Mexico


NOTE:  When I attended the retreat, I wasn't planning on doing a write-up for the weekend.   I have been rather ambivalent about my writing regarding dancing and dance related events lately.  So please excuse me for any errors I have made regarding the details below.   I remember things that happened but I might not get them in the right order. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amaya's Wise Woman Retreat, August 3-6, 2018,  Albuquerque, New Mexico

I have had a long dance history  with Amaya as student to master.   This includes many workshops starting with Shimmy into Spring in Austin (Dasi Hadishaw, organizer) and attendance at a few of her special dancer events - Acapulco Adventure (Mexico), Shake & Bake in Albuquerque and now the 12th Annual Wise Woman Retreat in Albuquerque.  One year, I even made a trek out to Albuquerque for some quality time with Amaya for my birthday treat - a nice long private session and some good New Mex-Mex.

Amaya has been a source of inspiration to me as a dancer from almost the beginning of my baby dancer days.  I guess that makes it about 30 years or more.  Her sense of fun as a dancer and her ability to bring everyone into her performance is part of what inspired me to work on my performance skills.  One of the first skills which I took to heart was the one to work in all directions as much as possible.   Don't just dance to the front.  Use all sides of the stage/room.   Work the diagonals.  This was a big challenge for the stage frighted introvert that I was when I first started dancing.  It took me a few years but I finally got there.  Although I have not entirely lost the stage fright.  Still an introvert.

 Amaya wants to help all the dancers to be the best they can be as a dancer and as a woman.   That's why she has produced the Wise Woman Retreats for so many years.  These retreats are a combination of dance/music workshops with a talking circle on the last night.  All activities from the weekend are meant to help with a dancer's personal growth.  How much you absorb depends on how much you are able to let down the barriers.  That is my challenge.

The official start of our retreat started with a "get acquainted" dinner on Friday night where we introduced ourselves and received a goody bag which included a reusable water bottle, a personal certificate of attendance and some sweets (chocolates, bubble gum). I had some bubble blowing mix included too.  Hannah had some sparklers.  

While introducing ourselves, we were supposed to mention some details about ourselves and why we were attending.   This is a hard part for me.  I always agonize over what to say, how much to reveal.   Silly me!!!  

I think some people were surprised when I mentioned that I look at 2018 as my farewell to dance.  I picked the Wise Woman retreat as part of my tour since Amaya has a special place in my dance development.  I specifically picked some activities (dance and travel) that put me into group settings to challenge myself.  I have been too settled into my home and spending too much time alone since my retirement.   I have been trying to re-define myself by exploring my creative side which includes many activities (yes, I have been blogging about them)  not only dance.  I still have a big quandary over my dance life, which might not resolve itself quickly.   Movement is good for the body.   Dance and music are good for the soul.


We were all gifted with personally made notebooks too.  These notebooks have pictures/items pasted on the front cover that relate to Albuquerque, New Mexico, dance and Amaya.  Inside of mine I have a photo of Bert Balladine.  I always liked Bert's classes and watching him dance with Amaya was so great.


Saturday  was our day for sightseeing.   Early morning (8:00 am) departure for the Corn Dances at the Santo Domingo Pueblo.  No photos allowed.  This is an annual event in honor of St. Dominic on August 4th.   If you go, you will see a large number of native dancers participating from young to old.   There are also vendors selling jewelry, clothing and food.  You might even pick up an umbrella to shield yourself from the sun as there isn't much shade out there and it gets intense.

Here is an interesting old article to read that I found:   New York Times Article Corn Dances

Back to Albuquerque for lunch in Old Town.   We decided on the Church Street Cafe.  I had the tamales.   Not bad but I've had better.  I must try my hand at making some again.  I just need to find good corn husks to wrap them.   No photos of my lunch for some reason.   I decided not to do any shopping in Old Town.   I have spent too much money on jewelry over the years in ABQ.   Time to give my pocketbook a rest.

Saturday night was flamenco!   Ole!!!   No photos allowed for this event either.   For more information regarding the show we attended, you can check the link:   Tablao Flamenco Albuquerque .  It was a great show!  I like to go see flamenco whenever I get the chance.




Sunday started out with Amaya talking a bit about the history of Danza Mora. Explaining how Danza Mora is a blend of Spanish Flamenco (Earth & Fire) and Oriental Belly Dance (Water & Air).  She gave us a nice handout to take home.  

I found an interview on YouTube that was done with Amaya regarding Zambra Mora.
Interview with Amaya

In the afternoon,  we learned her "Gypsy Hips on Fire" choreography.   She split us into 2 groups and we performed it as a troupe routine entering from opposite sides and crossing to the other side of the room.  This choreo has some good basic steps and movements that get you moving and having fun.
______________________________

We finished off the afternoon with special guest instructor, Felicia Elias (Jawhara) from Chicago.  She presented "Ear Training for the Body" and gave us a very nice booklet that covered all her material.  She went over the different instruments used in Middle Eastern Music then ran through most of the rhythms.  She had samples of the rhythms to play for us.   A wealth of information that every dancer should attempt to absorb at some point.    This is a class that I find valuable enough to take over and over.
_____________________________

Sunday evening was an opportunity to perform for members of the retreat.  Anyone  was welcome to come watch from the hotel or outside. It was held in a small stage space in the bar.  Amaya started off the dancing in her usual dynamic performance style,  There were several dancers who performed and some even joined in as drummers and other percussion for one dance performance.  I was in the no-performance mode that has sort of paralyzed me the past year or so.  I was just a good audience member.
_____________________________

Monday,  we did a bit of work with fans which was fun.   I am not a fan person at all.   I could not get the hang of snapping open and closing the fan.  I always ended up with the wrong side facing the audience.   Maybe I should always use a fan that looks the same on both sides.  At least I could keep up with the choreography.

Amaya's afternoon focus was on "Star Power" and How to Dance WITHIN the Music.   Tips on how to up your performance game and make you stand out.

The Dance Focus Points that were presented are very important ones for a performer:
1) Acknowledge the Audience - look out - make eye contact
2) Acknowledge yourself - bring attention to a movement you are doing
3) Acknowledge Mother Earth -  look downward
4) Acknowledge Father Sky - spiritual - project confidence
5) Combination of all of the above

These points are great methods to help direct energy.   I look at some of these actions as ways to gather and throw out energy.

Amaya's tips in the "How to Dance WITHIN the Music" section are such great ones to utilize.   
1) Tempo changes with the movement - halftime, doubletime, regular time
2) Use Accents
3) Catch and Hold - Pauses, Poses
4) Dream Sequence - stretch and hold the movement
5) Level changes, floor pattern changes, stops, hesitations

Amaya really put us to the test when she had us dance using the different points.  She made some of us get up in front of the group to work on poses.  Of course, we all act silly and goofy about having to get up by ourselves.  Opportunity for growth??  Yes, always having to challenge to oneself.


Where the Hands go, the Eyes will follow.
Where the Eyes go, so goes the Soul.
(Native American saying)


Last class of the day was taught by another guest instructor, Mia Naja.  She gave us a printout that listed 28 combos.  I think we were only able to cover about half of the items.   The list started off simple with snake arms then got progressively more complicated as hips then footwork was added. We could have spent twice the amount of time allotted and not spent enough time on these combos. I imagine that a few weeks in a regular class with Mia Naja might be helpful in working on the movements.  I had never met Mia Naja before but thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with her.

Monday night we headed to Amaya's house in Cedar Crest for a pot luck dinner, the talking circle and a bit of dancing.  I can't say much about the talking circle as it was highly personal for all participants.   Lots of revealing statements by individuals.  Sharing is encouraged but not mandatory.   Amaya brought us a person to lead the circle that specializes in the spiritual guidance of participants in a non-judgmental way.   Not always an easy thing to do . . . listen to others reveal themselves.   It can be uncomfortable and difficult.   Not something that this introvert "hide in the corner reading a book" person wants to do.   I always feel that I sound half hysterical and never really say what I feel or mean or . . . well, whatever.   Sigh, the Talking Circle is my big challenge.  

I found something that explains the guidelines of a Talking Circle.   I have provided a link:
Talking Circle Guidelines












I made a short video while sitting out on the porch.  Hope you can hear those noisy hummingbirds.   There are so many of them hanging around Amaya's house which makes it more obvious.   I think I only have 1 or 2 visit my backyard so not so much noise.


As Amaya stated on her agenda, Tuesday was "Sad Departure Day"!!  I headed out to the airport early so I could have a breakfast burrito.  But . . . before I finish this blog . .   I must mention what a crazy time I had with my massage therapist roommate, Hannah Setu.   

Believe it or not, we had not actually met before even though we live in the same area more or less.   I live on the Dallas side of the DFW metroplex and she lives on the Fort Worth side.   I had seen mentions of her because we have mutual friends and she has been involved with Ya Halla Y'all for years.   Turns out we are only a few months apart in age too! We had a great time exchanging stories of our lives and travels and dance adventures.  Bonus!!  I got some massage work in the hotel room before sleep to help me sleep better.  Thankfully, she was a good sport about the CPAP machine.  I usually don't get a roommate because of sleep issues (snoring etc) but the CPAP helps to keep problems from happening.


No comments: