Sunday, June 24, 2018

Crochet Anyone? #3 - Soggy yarn event

Jacaranda is the first CAL (Crochet-along) that I have attempted out of all the patterns that I have bought/downloaded.  More on Jacaranda in the next post.   I've bought yarn for a few others I have wanted to do.   So, like many other crochet crazy people, I have a growing yarn stash.  Well, that has slowed down a bit as I probably have a lifetime supply now.  I have even suffered through a plumbing problem  in May 2018 which sent water into the downstairs room where I kept the yard.  Thankfully, most of my yarn was in plastic bins but not all.    The yarn that got waterlogged was to be used on the Mandala Madness.   I was devastated at first.   I was out of town when the water leak happened.  My cat sitter managed to turn off the water and clear out some of the items from the soggy bedroom.  One item was this pile of yarn.  It sat for over 10 days before I got home.  It was still wet!!
At first, I didn't think there was a problem, but then I found out how wet it was.   I set it outside in the Texas heat feeling like it was all a loss. 

But it is so hot and dry here that, even though I kept everything in the shade, some of the yarn started to feel drier. I started to separate the ones that felt drier.   Then I got a suggestion from a facebook group that I should try to unwind the skeins using a Swift.   I got one and started unwinding what I thought were the best candidates to salvage. Leaving them outside to get completely dry.  I am now working on the worst of the lot . . . the ones with moldy spots and color bleeding.   I am even getting some yardage out of those but not all.  At least they are not smelly but I was given some hints on how to remove the smell too.  Love the hint to spray with cheap vodka and water  mix because I have heard that is used on costumes to remove odors too.


I am probably down to about 10 skeins to work on.   Meanwhile, I am eyeing another blanket and found I have yarn in my stash that matches what the designer recommends to use.  It is done in squares!  Yay!   But I must finish that Jacaranda.  On to my next post soon.


No comments: