Sunday, March 13, 2022

Pssssst! I snuck out of the country and went to Egypt in February 2022. Part 1 - First Stop Aswan and Environs


February 12, 2022 - Takeoff!

I didn't really sneak, lol.  I was properly ticketed, vaxxed/boosted, covid travel insurance purchased, PCR tested and papers all in order to depart.  So many new forms to have ready as I was transiting through the UK on the way to Egypt.  Requirements keep changing and dropping , , , it almost felt "normal" . . . whatever that is lately.  Ugh, I hate politics and war with the latest conflict starting while I was in Egypt.  So much travel anxiety before and on my return.   I shouldn't complain too much because it rather negates the overall experience of my return to Egypt after 2 1/2 years.  

Novotel, Cairo Airport

I had flight credit (American Airlines) and evouchers (British Airways) to use before they expired from the cancelled trips 2 years ago. I had put a deposit down on the group  adventure, Essence of Egypt,  3 years ago for a 11 day tour in February 2021.  I wouldn't have gone a year ago but the organizer, Kay Taylor of Farida Adventures, postponed both her trips (one in November and one in February).  I was still apprehensive about February 2022 and, while the November trip was moved out another year to November 2022, the February date remained.  

Turns out that the timing couldn't have been better even though the Grand Egyptian Museum won't be open until November 2022,  inshallah.  The omicron variant was on the wan and the future for travel was perking up.   Egypt was definitely hopping as we found out.   More cruise ships than ever before were getting floated on the Nile cruise route so I heard . . . seems school holidays were a couple of weeks early.  Usually March is school holiday time.   I wonder if Ramadan coming up soon is the reason.  Visitors from the Gulf were certainly in Cairo in large numbers as we found when we went to the Blue Nile on a 2nd night to see Marguerite when we returned to Cairo.

Aswan International Folk Festival

I had ambivalent feelings about travelling with a group when I had been at home most of the time during the pandemic.  I don't even eat out opting to use delivery and curbside pickup. I stocked up on masks and vowed to wear them as much as possible.  I was the most consistent in the group with the mask wearing.  I believe that wearing masks in Cairo (indoor and outdoor) helped to keep me from getting sick with the usual "Cairo Crud" . . . sort of a combination of smoke and pollution that my allergy meds couldn't defeat.

Monday, February 14, 2022 - an extra day to relax and a night out!

After the long journey across the Atlantic to London, then on to Cairo, I arrived a day early so I could get over jet lag. . .  Not like that helped in the long run because our group was so busy over the next several days with so many activities.  But the night before we headed to Aswan, we had an extra night out to see Soraya at City Stars.  She is so good!


It was St.  Valentine's Day . . . many hearts required.

Tuesday,  February 15, 2022 - Down to Aswan!

We had to be up really early for a 7am flight to Aswan.  On arrival, we still had to wait for our rooms for a 1 night stay at the Basma Hotel before we continued on to our boat, Concerto,  for the Nile Cruise. It is peaceful at the Basma Hotel as it is above the noise of the city and has a great view.  I stayed there in December 2013 when I was on Sahra Kent's Journey Through Egypt 3&4 Tour.  The Old Cataract Hotel is just down the hill from our location while the Nubian Museum is across the road.

Great View from my Room at the Basma Hotel

I missed the afternoon Nubian dance class because I fell asleep.  When I woke up, I could hear the sound of the music coming up from the terrace where they were dancing.   I hadn't planned to dance but I did want to watch  and listen to the music.  Being tired at the beginning of the whirlwind tour is not the best idea. Oh, well.

That evening, we attended what looked like a rehearsal/walkthrough for the Aswan International Folk Festival.  There were a lot of groups from different countries staying at the Basma.  They were walking around in their costumes all day.  I swear some of them were the same people who had been performing at Abu Simbel when I went in Feb 2017.  The groups seem to do double duty in Aswan then Abu Simbel. 


Wednesday, February, 16, 2022

I am such a fan of quiet mornings and watching the sunrise . . .  oops, that was on the other side of the hotel.    I did get to watch the moon set.


Not long after breakfast, we checked out of the hotel . .  . 

then headed off to Philae for a nice visit before checking into our floating domicile, the Concerto, for the next few days!


Riding the motorboat to Philae







This was such a busy day even after Philae.  We checked in to the boat, had some lunch then in the afternoon, did the Nile cruise to a Nubian village on a motorboat with one stop at the botanic gardens for a quick walk-through, , , run-through, lol.  

I feel like everything is done at a brisker pace than I can manage . . .even after the knee procedure, I am struggling.  The story of my life . . . at the back of the group and the last choice for a seat at the table . . . because I am sloooowwwww.

I do love sailing in a felluca or cruising in the motorboat on the Nile . . . I don't have photos of me getting on and off various vessels because it would be awkward . . . so many opportunities to fall in the water or injure my knees/feet.  So many people helping in and out, up and down . . . no wonder my muscles were screaming,  But once I was in place, I enjoyed all the rides.




Kay posing in the botanic gardens

Kay, Jessica and I at the Botanic Gardens . . . I think, lol




Tourists getting off the motorboat to engage in extra activities . . .  like riding camels or sand surfing.







We visited a Nubian home where we had tea and sweets with some music and dance.
Left to Right: Gillian, me, Jessica, Mary, Hazel, Vickie

Left to right:  Nikki/Seraphina, Moyra, Amanda, Adriana, Kay
Kay Taylor took lots of photos of everyone!


I'm the shortest person in this photo  :-) . . . the other lady is Gillian

Someone actually stopped us for a group photo in the Nubian Village

Going up: Vickie, Kay, Jessica, me, Gillian, Kate, Nikki, Ahmed, Moyra, Amanda, Mary, Adriana and Hazel

On our way back it was getting darker, so I have some night time photos with the moon trying to come out.


We weren't going to sail until the next afternoon, so after dinner we decided on a quick visit to the souk (market) in Aswan to look for galebeyas  ( caftans) and other items.  We finally split up and happened upon this one shop that looked like it had a good selection.  While some of the other ladies were looking at the shiny ones more typical of what dancers are attracted to, I was looking for something different.  First I looked at ones with Nubian patterns which were so nice.  The shop assistants were trying to find something in my size so some went off like they do to other shops.  I wasn't really finding something I liked on me until they pulled out the one with the eyes!!  One of my favorite colors is turquoise/blue . . .  and it was perfect and it fit!!  . . . and Kay claimed the yellow one.

Yours truly with the shop guy who helped me.

Kay modeling her caftan.

After stocking up on water and snacks, it was time to get some sleep.   Some members of our group were going off to see Abu Simbel very early the next morning.  I decided to wait for another year for a possible re-visit with my Welsh friend, Brigid, as we had gone in 2017.  

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Towel art for the day

I took the opportunity to go to the Nubian Museum which I had only seen a part of in December 2013.

Museums have the obligation to give us the time period and perspective for the objects contained in the museum.   I particularly liked the overview of the Nile and the location of the archeological sites . . .  some of which I have seen.

Then there are all the objects themselves.  Yes, I love looking at all the items collected from different digs.  Jewelry might be my favorite but that only scratches the surface.












Time to set sail at 15:30  



TO BE CONTINUED . . .  Next up . . . Cruising on the Nile with stops at Kom Ombo, Edfu, Locks at Esna, and Luxor (Part 2 Egypt 2022)

If interested in joining another adventure with Kay Taylor and Farida Adventures, check here:  Farida Adventures
There just happens to be another trip organized for November 2022.

No comments: