Wednesday, December 08, 2021

First time Macaron baker!

 I got a bee in my bonnet (just an expression to mean that I had an idea that I needed to act on) and decided I had to make macarons.   It probably was born out of watching too many episodes of that British baking show.  People were making macarons all the time.

Then I ran across a cook book specializing in macarons with lots of great recipes for fillings.  I checked out from the library but I recently bought a used copy from Half Price Books (it really was less than half price including shipping than the price on Amazon).


TBH, you don't need to buy a cook book as there are sites on the internet that listed the same basic recipe and lots of technique and tops.  But I like to have something other than a laptop in the kitchen to check recipes.  Here is a link though for a good source of information: Sally's Baking Addiction Macarons

I had some technique to work on so my results weren't perfect . . . getting egg whites stiff enough then piping them properly so they are the right size, flat and bake well.

Making chocolate ganache was much easier as I have already done that a few times.  The filling is what really makes the macaron so tasty.  It also hides the taste of the almond flour.  I like almonds but something about it in the egg whites was not so great tasting to me.


Yes, I was messy but I wasn't planning on taking them to friends as a gift.  Oh, as one friend who has made them a few times said "I have feet!" . . . that's what they call the edge that shows up on the side against the baking sheet.

Things to do: practice getting stiff egg whites and use fresh egg whites instead of the ones in a carton.  This is easier but this is a hint mentioned in the tips. 

I might make meringues in the near future.   Maybe after making a run at choux pastry which is another technique to learn.





No comments: