Monday, May 22, 2017

Kumihimo - inside technique using leather

I found a video that shows the technique for adding the beads so that they are inside the braiding media.   In the video, leather is used to braid and string the beads.   I've been using leather a bit so decided to give it a try.   The video uses 6/0 beads with 1mm leather.

I followed the bead stringing pattern that was used in the video but I don't think I got it right.   Not sure it even matters since the beads are harder to see with the leather on the outside.   I think it turned out quite well, but for me, it is a bit big for my arm.



I also tried one with 8/0 beads with .5mm leather.   I like the mix of beads I used on this one.   I didn't use a particular pattern as I had two different mixes of beads to use up and i just alternated the stringing of the beads on strands.




I have a couple more I have done but haven't finished them as I am trying to decide how to finish them.   I had some other rectangle/square shaped beads so I tried those out too.   I finished out the kumihimo section and am now adding beads for a necklace.

This is showing some tryout samples for the completion.   I have changed it up now to include some silver circles.   This is using .5mm grey leather.   I am thinking to add some smaller pink beads to the plain braided sections.

No comments: