Sunday, June 13, 2021

Zaatar Lamb Meatballs with Green Tahini

 Sounds exotic, right?  Zaatar Meatballs and Green Tahini Sauce . . . Just an extension of my adventures with zaatar spice mix and sumac.   I did buy a large amount of these when I went shopping at Sara's awhile back.  I can't only make zaatar pizza, lol.  When this recipe showed up, I thought it would be a perfect use for the spices and I like lamb, so I added the fresh herbs to my shopping list:  parsley, cilantro, dill along with green onions.

The tahini is green because of the parsley and cilantro but the use of lots of garlic and lemon really boost the flavor of the added tahini (sesame paste).  It is good so I have plenty of leftover parsley and cilantro which can be used to make more.  This green tahini is good with lots of things.  It certainly helped to perk up some boiled eggs this morning at breakfast.

The lamb meatballs were quick to make up after I prepped the ingredients in advance to have ready for the final push.  I added an egg and some bread crumbs to the recipe ingredients (spices, garlic, green onion and herbs).  I didn't add extra olive oil as I was using lamb but a tablespoon or 2 might have been good for flavor and moisture.  I did roll the meatballs in the optional toasted sesame seeds.  I love sesame seeds!!

I have an ice cream scoop to make cookies and it worked well to make uniform sized meatballs.  Instead of frying them, I baked in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes.

If I make these meatballs again, I would consider increasing the amount of spices.  I love lamb but I felt the overall flavor needed a boost.  The green tahini does help with that.



The recipe does make about 20 meatballs (how many depends on if you use an ice cream scoop or eyeball with tablespoon) and some have gone in the freezer for future consumption.



Next up are Chocolate Truffles!   I signed up for a kit and instructions from the local chocolatier with whom I took the cocoa bomb on-line class back in November.

No comments: